Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Cooking Light ~ Tailgating with Sweet Potato Chips

The Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club is celebrating the beginning of football season with a tail-gate supper. In Alabama . . . we know how to tail-gate
I searched through the pages of Cooking Light recipes to find a vegetable I might actually take to a tail-gate . . . I found This Recipe For Sweet Potato Chips
Sweet Potato Chips
cooking spray
1 (14-ounce) sweet potato, very thinly sliced, divided
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
A mandoline makes slicing the sweet potato into perfect thin slices easy.
The instructions (according to Cooking Light)
Cut a circle of parchment paper to fit a microwave-safe plate; coat parchment lightly with cooking spray. Arrange one-fourth of the potato slices in a single layer on parchment. Sprinkle evenly with 1/4 teaspoon rosemary, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and a dash of pepper. Microwave at POWER LEVEL 9 for 4 minutes. Check for crispness. Continue to cook at 30-second intervals until done. Repeat procedure with remaining potato, rosemary, salt, and pepper.

I wanted to do a crisp test between the microwaved chips and one's that I baked in the oven as I usually do. . . So I made another cookie sheet full of potato slices.
The microwave chips were dryer and crisper ~
I love them with an extra layer of sea salt.

 

Now . . . let's see what everyone else has brought for our Tailgate.
Jerry has made an Heirloom Tomato Salad with Herbs and Capers
Val is making Amaretto Apple Strusel Cupcakes
Susan is bringing Slow Cooker Pulled Pork with Cole Slaw (Pass the plate Please!!)
Sara is starting us off with Fire Seared Antipatso Platter

Y'all enjoy ~
Sandi

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I love the microwave method. Sounds easier and better than baking. These look great.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I'd say these are perfect for tailgating season Sandi. The only problem is I am sure I could never make enough to satisfy my craving.

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

I've wanted a mandoline for years, and it's time I get one! I've never heard of the microwave method, but must try it soon. I either bake - or fry, which frying defeats the purpose of being healthy!

But it's so good!

Susan Lindquist said...

TOTALLY PERFECT! I have often wondered about making microwaved chips (like I wondered about those oven made onion rings!) It works! And I am always amazed! Great addition to the tailgate Sandi! What a meal we've all concocted this month!

Sandi McBride said...

I adore Sweet Potato chips...well Sweet Potato anything...I have RA and eat them quite a bit...I sprinkle sea salt mixed with cinnamon and now that is lovely!
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Wow - I have never tried the microwave technique. Another thing to add to the never diminishing list of things to try.. .

grace said...

this is my kind of tailgate food--delicious and healthy yet still totally appropriate. i wouldn't want to share!

Related Posts with Thumbnails