Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Cooking Light ~ Pucker Up with Lemons

Our Cooking Light Virtual Supper Club for the month of February is all about puckering up ~ for Valentines Day.
Puckering up with Lemons that is.

I went to Cooking Light and found This Recipe for Limoncello ~ I have made MADE LIMONCELLO BEFORE, but was glad to find this new recipe. MY ORIGINAL RECIPE is different, so I will give this lighter version a try.


Limoncello
4 cups vodka
1/2 cup lemon rind strips (about 7 lemons)
3 cups water
1 1/2 cups sugar
Combine vodka and rind in a bowl. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 2 weeks. Strain through a sieve into a bowl; discard solids.
Combine 3 cups water and 1 1/2 cups sugar in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, and cool to room temperature. Add to vodka mixture.
 Divide limoncello evenly among 3 sterilized (750-milliliter) bottles, and seal.
Note: Store in the refrigerator up to 1 year.

So much for the OVER- Simplified Cooking Light directions . . .
First... use only organic lemons.
Now, carefully peel the lemons until you have Only the Yellow part.
Place them in a large jar, and allow them to soak in the vodka for AT Least 2 weeks.
Strain the peels, and filter the vodka several times.
Combine with the cooled simple syrup.
Now, pour into individual bottles and seal.
The recipe itself is Really Very good . . . I ended up with a mild and slightly sweet brew.
This won't last a year around here!

 

Now . . . let's see what everyone else has brought for our Valentine Pucker ~ lemmony feast.
Jerry has made Fennel Salad with Meyer Lemon
Val is making Lemon/Ginger Fried Chicken
 Susan is bringing Chicken Rice Soup with Dill
Sara is bringing Tomato Salad with Avocade and Preserved Lemons
Roz has dessert, Lemon Polenta Cake with Winter Fruit Compote

Y'all enjoy ~
Sandi

9 comments:

Susan Lindquist said...

We make limoncello martinis with ours ... hick up! Delish!

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

Limoncello was a new treat for us in Italy. We brought back several bottles that are now empty. Great idea to try and make our own.

I would actually love to have your friend's dessert recipe for lemon polenta cake. Sounds interesting.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Everywhere I went in Italy it seemed I was offered Limoncello as a digestive at the end of a meal. I love it straight from the freezer. Thanks for bringing this lightened version to the table.

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Wow, if there is a lighter version of limoncello available, I'm all over it! YUM! You really had to start your recipe early for this month to make this good golden elixir 'stew' a bit, huh? Thanks for the recipe!!!

pam said...

I'll have to see how this compares to the limoncello that I make, which I totally love. And speaking of totally love - where do I get those chalkboard labels?!!?

Sarah said...

I have never made lemoncello but love it. I have been waiting for this recipe!

Justabeachkat said...

I love limoncello, especially in Italy, but I don't have it often. Thanks for the recipe.

Hugs,
Kat

nanny said...

Yum, I think I would REALLY enjoy Limoncello. I must make this soon! Thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

MMMMM - LOVE limoncello. Great job Ms. Sandi!

Related Posts with Thumbnails