Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Friday, February 17, 2012

Beyond the Pasta

Have you read Beyond The Pasta ? It is Mark Leslie's account of living with an Italian family. He spent a month with Nonna and her family, learning to cook and speak Italian. Last night we went to a cooking class Birmingham Bake and Cook ~ my favorite shop for all things Kitchen! Susan does a great job of keeping the place stocked with those hard to find items.

It was fun to watch Mark make three kinds pasta and the sauces to go with them in 3 hours. He was not only roling out the dough . . . but telling funny stories all along.
Allorah ~ What a Hoot!

We both agree'd that Italian cooks are Absolute about their recipes. Having cooked 'with' Marcella Hazan ~ I know that for a fact! Only fresh Italian ingredients, and then only in a certain order . . .

He whipped up several batches of 2 egg pasta ~ and then one with spinach for fettuccini.

I jumped in to help with the rolling . . .

check the total concentration . . .
Mark made it look very easy ~ and didn't even break a sweat. Nonna would be proud!
If you haven't read the book ~ it is a must. The recipes are there, but the best part is the southern guy living the life in Italy. I can relate to so many of the stories !

Ciao Y'all ~
Sandi

2 comments:

LindyLouMac said...

I have not only read this but I have my own copy, I am waiting for Mark to autograph my copy next time he comes to the Viterbo region as it is where I live!

Tanna said...

Sounds like such a fun evening!! And, I'll bet the tasting of the food was wonderful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails