Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Sunday, August 09, 2009

Sunday Salad~ couscous

Annie's blog is Churches in Venice. She does a lot more than just visit churches in Venice!
Her suggestion for this Sunday's Salad is Couscous with chickpeas and cinnamon. Annie says she found this recipe when looking for something to do with her Vietnamese cinnamon, she also suggests that you could substitute dried apricots for the dates.
What the heck... We love couscous so I'll give it a try!

Couscous Salad with Chickpeas, Dates & Cinnamon
3 green onions
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (preferably Vietnamese)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 (10 ounce) package couscous
3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup dates, pitted and roughly chopped
1/4 cup pinenuts, toasted
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Directions
Finely dice white end of green onions. Slice green parts of green onions and reserve for salad. Gently cook white onion pieces in olive oil 5-7 minutes in a medium saucepan. Stir in chicken broth, cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and red pepper. Bring to a boil; add couscous. Cover and remove pan from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.
Whisk together vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and olive oil in a small bowl.
Fluff couscous with a fork; put in a large bowl. Toss in sliced green onions, chickpeas, carrots, dates, pinenuts, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper; add vinaigrette and toss again. Serve right away or chill. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
(Vietnamese cinnamon is pretty strong so if you're using regular cinnamon, you might want to use a little bit more.)
I did change it up a bit... I used the apricots that Annie suggested, I added more cinnamon since mine was the piggly wiggly variety. I forgot the carrots and I also toasted my garbanzo beans and pinenuts.
To my surprise these southern boys pronounced the cinnamon couscous a winner! I made extra thinking I'd have leftovers for work... not a cous!
I guess I'll be eating carrots this week.
Y'all enjoy!
Sandi

3 comments:

Annie said...

I'm glad you guys liked it! That is a great idea to toast the chickpeas too; I'm going to do that the next time I make it.

Char said...

that's one of those things I've been meaning to try - this might be just the trick

Lisa said...

This looks so tasty! Toasted garbanzos and pinenuts with cinnamon would have to be, wouldn't they? Nice Sunday salad.

Related Posts with Thumbnails