Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Sunday, August 23, 2009

I have a story that will make you Smile!


I have a story to tell... (I'll try to keep it short since I'm sure you are at work and the boss is going to be looking over your shoulder)

Y'all know we have spent the week at the beach in Perdido with my family from ALL over. It has been fabulous!
.
My daughter's boyfriend pulled us aside mid- week and asked for my blessings for them to marry.
In a rush of tears, I told him the story of the diamond ring that I had worn for 30 years, my mom had worn for 30 years before me, and my grandmother and great grandmother had worn for years before that. I gave him the ring ~after making it clear that this ring stays in the family~ and our blessings. It is a precious day when you know that your daughter has met the man who will love her, and protect her for the rest of their lives.
So... now I am empty fingered (we all know what a huge problem that would be) and trying to keep the secret. I wandered into a gift shop at Zeke's, one that I can remember going into years ago with Mom when she was struggling with breast cancer. It was always one of our favorite beach shops, and in our last trip there together she had bought special musical snow globes for her granddaughters. I cherish that memory. I wandered around and in the display of fabulous CZ's... is MY RING! Well, not exactly~ but close enough. There is a large 'diamond' in the center with one on either side. Perfect fit!! I quickly filled the empty spot on my finger.

2 days later, after dinner at a local restaurant and a romantic walk on the dock, he presented her the ring and popped the question. After they made it home, we all toasted with prosecco. She hadn't even realized that I had given away my ring.
The ring needs a little sizing, and had I known I was passing it on I would have cleaned out the pizza dough before we headed to the beach. It has a new home for another 30 years or so.
Now I am really going to have to pay attention to Kat's wedding plans~ opps I mean Kat's daughter's wedding plans~

Y'all stay tuned!
Sandi

18 comments:

Char said...

sooooooooooooooooooooooooo sweet!!! and congratulations!

candi said...

Ah! Your story did put a smile on my face. Congrats!

nanny said...

Oh how sweet, pizza dough and all/ha
Yes, I am smiling!!!!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Char~ thank you Sweetie!
Candi~ I knew it would.
Nanny~ You can see from the pictue which ring was the shinniest. ~which goes to prove that all that glitters is not gold.

Justabeachkat said...

They look adorable together! And what a sweetie pie you are to pass the ring to your beautiful daughter. Congratulations to all!

Hugs!
Kat

Lisa Pogue said...

How sweet!! I love the story behind the ring, one to treasure forever!! I love all this wedding stuff too. I can live vicariously between you and Kat and the Domestic Designer!! Can't wait for more...

Chef E said...

I love romantic things like this...hanging on till I read more...

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Kat~ I don't know about the sweetie pie part. I told Bill that this would cost HIM.
Lisa~ I will have to check her blog out too!

barb cabot said...

Sandi I loved this story! You did make my heart smile today. Your daughter and her fiance are adorable. I'm so happy for all of you!

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

A beautiful story and tradition. Will look forward to the wedding plans and photos.

(())

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing such a sweet story,Sandi, and Congrats to all!It brought a smile to my face on an otherwise dreary dat here in Philly.
Sheri

STILLMAGNOLIA said...

That was the sweetest story I have ever heard. Before my husband and I became engaged he asked me if I like traditional....or new jewelry. I had no clue where he was headed with this...I love traditional stuff...and when he asked me to marry him at the end of a 4th of July concert I was singing in....on a knee...at the back of the stage...he was there...with his mother's (she had died several years before)engagement ring. I was floored....and love the ring. Thank you for sharing this subject...it was wonderful!

Barbara said...

Well, you did put a smile on my face. Congrats to your daughter and her future husband. Great story of the family ring.

Thanks for sharing.
Barbara

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Barb~ your heart needed a little smile didn't it?
Francie~ I'll be posting plans... when the time comes.
Sheri~ anything to brighten a Philly day!
Magnolia~ What a wonderful story! You'll be able to tell your daughter that story one day.
Barbara~ there is something special about a 'family ring'

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

CONGRATULATIONS SANDIE! This sis Aweosme. I loved what you said about Kat's wedding plans. Had to smile. Lve ya Kat!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

BTW- what a beautiful story and tradition. So special...even the pizza dough.
HUGS, friend!

Sandy said...

What a wonderful story and so nice to keep the tradition of the ring alive! Love your pictures from the beach!

Elz said...

That is a sweet story Sandi. You are so generous to pass on that very meaningful ring. I want my girls to have certain pieces, but parting with them will be hard.

Related Posts with Thumbnails