Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Sunday, April 12, 2009

Sunday Slow Suppe

This week's soup recipe is from Kathy... she has a lot of experience with Gulaschsuppe from her trips with European Experiences. Kathy and Charley take small groups on tours through Provence and southern Germany. She would know her gulashsuppe!
She says that she has made the soup a couple of times from different recipes, and this one seems to be the best starting place. She says she found the recipe in The New German Cookbook by Jean Anderson and Hedy Wurz.
Gulaschsuppe
2 pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into bite-sized cubes (a little more doesn't hurt)
3 tablespoons butter
2 medium-size yellow onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 large garlic clove, peeled and minced
2 tablespoons Hungarian sweet rose paprika
1 teaspoon dried thyme
4 cups cold water
2 cups rich beef broth (homemade or canned)
2 medium-size potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized cubes
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Brown the beef in two tablespoons of the butter in a large heavy kettle over high heat. Transfer the beef to a bowl using a slotted spoon.- Add the rest of the butter to the kettle, then the onions (and green pepper if added), and saute for about five minutes. Add the garlic near the end. - Return the beef to the kettle, add the paprika and thyme, and cook together over moderate heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring often. - Add the water and broth, bring to a boil, adjust the heat to simmer, cover and cook 45 minutes.- Add the potatoes. Re-cover and simmer 45 minutes longer, until beef and potatoes are tender. Stir in the tomato paste, salt and pepper, heat through, and adjust the seasonings if neeeded.

Hungarian sweet paprika is different from the smokey paprika we usually find. It is the secret to making a real yummy gulash.

I lived in Germany for several years back in the 80's and love a good bowl of thick stew. I served it with a toasted kaiser roll on the side~ Es schmeckt gut!
Guten Appetit y'all,
Sandi

6 comments:

Chef E said...

Gosh I hope others realize how great that suppe looks! Making me hungry over here...

Unknown said...

I've been meaning to write to say thanks for your journal entry on Slow Travel about Ballooning in Tuscany. It sounded like so much fun that my husband and I recently booked a trip with Robert while in Italy. It was amazing - one of our trip highlights. I read your blog as well - thanks for sharing.

Justabeachkat said...

Happy Easter!

I've been such a bad blog friend lately. Shame on me! Life has been crazy/busy, but in a good way. I've had fun reading all your posts I've missed though. Both soups sound wonderful and the egg salad makes me want some...now! Cute bug/bunny photos :-)

Hugs!
Kat

Darius T. Williams said...

I can't pronounce it - but I can sure eat that!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

E~ come on over, there's more than plenty!
Darnold~ I am so thrilled that you got to balloon with Robert. It is amazing! Thanks for leaving a comment- I'd love to hear about your trip. I am going back in 5 weeks. I'll tell Robert hello!
Kat~ I always know you are there. Stay busy- live is good!
DariusT~ this is one soup you'd love... No tofu in this pot.

Kathy said...

Sandi, so glad you enjoyed the goulash soup! And your photo is EXACTLY what it looks like in Germany or Austria, that rich reddish color.

Happy travels-- and cooking!

Related Posts with Thumbnails