Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sunday Slow Series

Springtime is here and we are ready to start a new series of Sunday Slow Cookers.
In the past we have done Scoops, Baking, and Soups... Now we are going to start a series of Salads!
Welcome the Sunday Salad Samplers.
Eden's blog is Wanderings and Wonderings, and she is kicking us off with a great springtime salad. She has called this the Palma and Jerry salad~ based on their creation with blood oranges. It is a great fresh salad. Here is Eden's 'recipe'.
"I did not have any recipes, so here goes what came to my mind -
Some greens - use your favorite or a a combination of favorite greens
Blood Oranges - at least two or three if they are small
Berries - I used yellow and red raspberries when available
Dried Cranberries - because I had some and love them
Crumbled cheese - like Feta
Roasted candied pecans
Croutons, if you wish
Eden's really simple put together method:
(I found out that slicing the blood oranges and then peeling them with a knife going around the circumference of the slice was much easier than peeling and segmenting them. This will take the most time, so start with preparing the blood oranges.)
On your salad plate or your serving bowl, start with a bed of greens. Continue by assembling the ingredients on top.
Just before serving, you can add the cheese and your favorite salad dressing. I had croutons on the side but no one used them. "

I left off the dried cranberries and added my spiced pecans (come back tomorrow for that recipe). The produce manager at Piggly Wiggly thought I was joking about the blood oranges... so I had to go to 'Whole Funds' for those. I think you could substitute with regular oranges~ but the burgandy oranges are so pretty!
I am excited about the salads every Sunday... maybe I can get off a few of these pounds from all that good baking and cream soups.

Y'all enjoy!
Sandi

8 comments:

SweetAnnee said...

Salad is a GREAT Sunday meal.. crisp, cool, light and so good for you.

I can't believe you have a
Piggly Wiggly

I've not seen on for YEARS..I'm in Illinois.

fondly, Deena

I bet the hummingbirds are there already..I think you are SOUTH...from me

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Deena~ I am south! Maybe I didn't have my feeders ready and they just passed me by.
They'll be back!

barb said...

Oh Happy Days..........SALADS We love Sunday salads..........look forward to more ideas......I have several we usually have this time of the year. Maybe I'll post them on PBE.

Lianne said...

Those blood oranges are beautiful! I'll have to make a special trip to B'ham for those!

care said...

The term salad when used alone applies to green leaves or stalks that are eaten uncooked. An extension of the term salad, as now more generally used throughout the world, applies to a salad plant, with or without other foods, and a dressing.

Darius T. Williams said...

There's nothing like a fantastic salad - this looks amazing.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Doodles~ we will have a new one each week... come back on sunday.
Lianne~ I don't think this is the season for them, but they are pretty.
Care~ ??
Thanks for the info~ That will come in handy for a trivia question.
DariusT~ Do you have any new video's out? I'd better come check.

Fran said...

Oh. My. Goodness. I LOVE blood oranges, but I was spoiled by tasting them for the first time while we were in Italy. A friend of my sister-in-law picked them off his trees and brought them over for us. I have yet to find any here in the states that taste the same. This salad looks delicious. I think I will stop by the Whole Foods next time I'm in the area and see if I can find some.

Thanks for aways making me hungry!

Fran

Related Posts with Thumbnails