Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Sunday, April 05, 2009

Hot and Sour Sunday Slow Soupers

The soup of the week is Annie's Hot and Sour soup. This is always a favorite of mine when we order takee-outee... so I was excited to give it a try.
Here is Annie's recipe~

Hot and Sour Soup
Two 13-3/4 ounce cans low-salt chicken broth
Three slices of fresh ginger root
2 tablespoons tamari or dark soy sauce
1/4 cup of rice wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon hot chili oil (more or less)
1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 cup bamboo shoots
1/2 cup of firm tofu, diced into small squares
one egg lightly beaten
Garnish
1 or 2 scallions, including greens, diced
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
Instructions:
Bring the chicken stock and the fresh ginger root to a slow boil for two or three minutes.
Remove the ginger slices and discard. Turn the heat down slightly.
Add the rest of the liquid ingredients, the sugar, and the white pepper. Simmer for about five minutes and then taste to make sure it’s hot and/or sour enough. Adjust as needed.
Add the bamboo shoots and the tofu. Stir gently.
Bring the soup to a slow boil again and quickly add in the lightly beaten egg while stirring. Remove the pot from the heat immediately and continue to stir to break up the egg pieces. Garnish and Serve.
Other things I might add:
Garlic
Fresh baby spinach leaves or other green leafy thing
Sliced mushrooms
Water chestnuts
A can of stir-fry vegetables with baby corn
Mung bean sprouts
Snow pea pods
.
Let me say that Bill has been a good sport through all of these soups. But a man has to draw a line somewhere. Tofu, raw eggs and vinegar?
You've gottobekiddinme!
I offered a fresh spring roll on the side~ but even with that, there was no way he was even trying this one. I thought it was great, lots of flavor and as good as any chinese restaurant.

When I cracked my egg look what I found... Twins! I had to google it, and found a lot of interesting facts about odd eggs.

See~ one more reason Bill wasn't touching this soup.
Y'all enjoy!
Sandi

7 comments:

Chef E said...

Yum, I could go for another bowl like this today! Still stuffy headed...and this looks good with that spring roll!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

E~ Isn't hot and sour soup just what you need when you are all stuffed up? Come on over and I'll heat up a bowl for you.

breadchick said...

And you just inspired me to dial my carry out place for some hot and sour soup along with bookmarking this recipe for a try out.

Annie said...

LOL about Bill and the tofu! At least he got that beautiful spring roll out of the deal!

I've heard of double yolk "twin" eggs but never actually seen one. Hope it brings you good luck!

Anonymous said...

I really liked this soup - I can't believe I bought tofu though!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

BreadChick~ any other cooking blog would be insulted by the call for carry out... I, on the other hand, say You go Girl!!
Annie~ Are double yolks lucky?maybe I should go buy a lotto ticket today.
Jerry~ I bet Paul was just as excited about that tofu.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Wow! Twins! Congrats! That is intersting!
LOVE hot and sour soup! I just asked a fellow blogger (Chandy) who is Asian to give me the recipe. She gave me hers. I hope to try it out sometime. I am with Bill, I cannot put a raw egg in mine. I just cannot. But otherwise.....YUM! We love to get this at Hunan. Their soup is amazing! And at lunch, you can get a whole meal, egg roll and soup for about 5 bucks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails