Sandi is blogging from the WhistleStop Cafe kitchen. It's all about good home cooking; food, family and fun. Thousands of posts . . .

~In the south and around the world.



Monday, April 07, 2008

Lady and Son's


A trip to Savannah would not be complete without at trip to Paula Deen's Lady & Son's. This is an example of what a dose of the Food Network can do for a small town diner. Paula Deen has a wonderful story, and she worked harder than most for a long time. You have got to love her for that. I do think that she will admit that she was in the right place at the right time and BAM! (as Emeril might say) The lines form around the block and the gift shop is right next door.
Bill and I both commented that the food was very similar to the WhistleStop Cafe (back in the day). Good southern cooking, with no shortage of fried chicken, creamed corn, black eyed peas, and greens. $6.99 for fried green tomatoes~ The hoe cakes are complimentary~ that's what the aprons say.
There were gallons of sweet tea to wash it all down. Banana pudding, cobbler, and pecan pie for dessert.
We went with a group of other Slow Travel friends~ their opinion on our Southern cuisine was fun! The overwhelming advise was if it isn't fried or buttered... don't get it here!
The walk several blocks back to the car just helped to stabilize the calories. Now, how do you reckon those Son's stay so slim and good looking?
More for y'all from Savannah~
Sandi



18 comments:

Holledayz said...

You have no idea how good all of that looks from my computer screen in London! And you are so right about being in the right place at the right time....we just as easily could have been tuning into Lady and Son - Bill and his Mama!
Although I would prefer to watch Lady and her SISTER!
I need some sweet tea!

Heather said...

Oh man I am jealous. The problem with with her having a TV show is that you then know how much butter goes into everything! It looks worth it though.

Heather

PAT said...

This looks so good! I am not going to show this to J....oh, alright, maybe I will.

Pat

Sally said...

Don't get me wrong - I *love* Paula Deen. But, it sort of sounds to me like you're not particularly recommending her restaurant. So, should we plan on eating there?

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Holledayz~ That was one of our conversations on the way home. Bill would have ended up marrying some young thang with big diamonds. Where would I be now???
Heather~ She is just fun, and as southern as sweet tea!
Pat~ No calories in the pictures.
Sally~ Everyone has to go at least once! The food was very good... the salad not so. But then WHO would order a salad at Paula Deen's?

Heather said...

now that's a lady that know how to cook! And raise some great kids.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a great writeup. I will make sure to pass your comments on the salad to Jamie and Bobby. I am so glad that y'all enjoyed your trip to Savannah, it's a beautiful city and we all feel blessed to be able to live here.

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

AtlGirl~ You are so right!
Phil Peterman~ Wow, you are Johnny on the spot. I'm glad we only had good things to say! Tell Paula and the boys we said Hey Y'all

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Have you read her book It ain't all about the cooking???? She is one amazing woman who worked really hard. .....Have a great night...Mary

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

Ohhhh sounds like you are having a grand time. Have you made it to Mrs. Wilkes boarding house yet? Ummmmmmmmmmmm good grits as my dear Daddy used to say.


(())

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm the one who ordered a salad at Paula Queen's.....I can't eat all that fried food! So who could mess up a salad?? I know, too easy for them and no grease.

It was still fun being there with my favorite friends!

Sandi McBride said...

Oh I'm so hungry now! Paula is definitely The Dean of Cooking...you being the Queen...
hugs
Sandi
ps hope you're loving my old stomping grounds!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

Mary~ Paula Deen does have an inspiring story!
Francie~ we didn't get to Mrs Wilkes... that will be the next trip.
Gail~ I wasn't telling =D... that was to make up for all the praline samples we ate.
Sandi~ I Might just quote you on that! Paula might be the Dean~ I am the Queen.

Anonymous said...

OMGosh everything looks soooo yummers!
mary
hoganfe handbags

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Oh Sandi! Thanks so much for this! I've always wanted to eat at Lady & Sons since watching Paula on the Food Network. I really didn't know much about Southern cooking until I watched her, and now I love it. Grits & Shrimp anyone?

Please read my blog today about my favorite cookbooks, and tell me what yours are!

THANKS!!

Hugs, Pat

Lori Lynn said...

Thanks for the cute restaurant review.

Pam said...

YUM! I miss that place.

Mamamac said...

I agree with you - she was in the right place at the right time. I have to confess, we thought about waiting in the line, but my husband said "this smells like your kitchen", so we decided to go somewhere that was different than my cooking. I was a little surprised that the store was so small.

Related Posts with Thumbnails